Provider Opportunities at Fairview

Our History

Our History

Fairview began when a small group of community leaders in Minneapolis sold the first membership in the United Church Hospital Association for $1. With that dollar was born Fairview Hospital. Since then, Fairview has grown considerably to make huge contributions to the communities we serve. The timeline summarizes some of the more significant accomplishments and milestones throughout the years.

1905: Several leading Norwegian citizens gather to form the Norwegian Hospital Association—later renamed the United Church Hospital Association that same year.

1906: Site of first Fairview hospital—Thomas Hospital—established with several acres in south Minneapolis off Sixth Street.

1908: Thomas Hospital opened for 48 patients.

1914: Construction begins on the center and west wings of what would eventually be a hospital with two wings and 140 beds costing about $225,000.

1915: Fairview Hospital, located next to Thomas Hospital, is dedicated during the United Norwegian Church’s convention.

1916: Fairview treats first patient—a 27-year-old housewife. Sixteen more patients were admitted the same day.

1917: Fairview cares for 2,333 patients from 24 different ethnic groups and 22 religious denominations and performs 2,000 operations in its first year.

1920: Fairview hires first chief of staff—Henry Williams, who also was the head football coach at the University of Minnesota. Williams also is the namesake of Williams Arena, the home of the Golden Gopher basketball teams.

1921: Fairview completes new south wing—adding two floors, several patient wards, kitchen and dining facilities.

1927: The Fairview Auxiliary, a group of women with “good moral character,” becomes a vital part of the Fairview family and helps the organization dig itself out of financial problems by raising thousands of dollars.

1929: Thomas Hospital closes its doors while a new home for 138 nursing students is completed in front of Thomas Hospital.

1936: Fairview opens a fathers’ lounge in OB. The lounge attracts attention as far away as England where a London newspaper runs a story and quotes one hospital administrator as saying, “It’s a great success, and we are proud of our record—for we have yet to lose a husband.”

1938: After decades of requiring nurses to work seven days a week, Fairview institutes a six-day workweek.

1944: Fairview nurses step forward during World War II to provide care to our patients.

1948: Nora Winther becomes the first woman to be elected medical chief of staff at a private Minneapolis hospital and Dr. W. Donald Brown becomes the only African-American physician practicing in Minneapolis. Fairview is the first hospital in the community to welcome physicians of diverse ethnicity, creed and gender.

1952: The new Fairview facility is completed and includes a surgical suite with six operating rooms, cast room, central sterilizing plant, a doctor’s lounge, dietary department, X-ray facilities and 40 more patient beds.

1952: Carl Platou is hired as chief administrator, starting an era of unprecedented growth for Fairview.

1955: Fairview adds a pediatric department that includes 240 beds and 40 cribs. Thomas Hospital is demolished.

1957: A new mental health/rehabilitation unit is dedicated with Governor Orville Freeman present. The rehabilitation center includes several features never assembled in one rehab unit—electrically adjustable beds, rails along hallways and a gym with special equipment for walking.

1958: The Dayton family offers Fairview land, two blocks north of Southdale Center near France Avenue that eventually becomes Fairview Southdale Hospital.

1965: Fairview Southdale Hospital holds its grand opening—two years after its groundbreaking.

1974: Princeton Community Hospital changes its name to Fairview Princeton Hospital and becomes Fairview’s fourth hospital. Later in 1993, they opened Fairview Northland Hospital.

1977: Fairview creates Institute for Athletic Medicine.

1981: Fairview Hospitals International is formed.

1984: Fairview’s second suburban hospital, Fairview Ridges Hospital, opens in Burnsville.

1985: Oxboro becomes Fairview’s first affiliated clinic, a unique partnership that becomes common in the 1990s.

1986: Fairview Foundation is established.

1987: Fairview and St. Mary’s agree to become one medical facility: Riverside Medical Center.

1991: Fairview purchases St. Mary’s Hospital which is renamed Fairview Riverside Medical Center.

1994: Chisago Health Service partners with Fairview to build Fairview Lakes Medical Center.

1995: Fairview Health Services and Ebenezer Society partner to provide senior housing and long-term care services to seniors.

1997: University of Minnesota Hospital merges with Fairview to form Fairview-University Medical Center. This unique arrangement includes two sites located across the river from each other.

1997: Fairview Red Wing Health Services is created in partnership with River Region Health Services and Interstate Medical Center.

1997: University Medical Center-Mesabi and Mesaba Clinics partner with Fairview to serve the Range community in northern Minnesota.

1997: University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview is the first hospital in the world to successfully transplant all intra-abdominal organs (heart, liver, lung, kidney, pancreas and intestine).

2000: Nation’s first stem cell institute is established at University of Minnesota.

2004: University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview celebrates 600th kidney transplant and 500th heart transplant.

2008: Fairview grows in the north and south metro. Columbia Park Medical Group, including six clinics and two pharmacies in the north metro, joins Fairview. University of Minnesota Physicians and Edina-based Minnesota Heart Clinic merge their cardiology programs and, together with Fairview, create a new, integrated cardiovascular program. Surgical Consultants, P.A., including 13 surgeons, also joins Fairview.

Caroline Amplatz, J.D., gives a $50 million gift

Fairview and the University of Minnesota to honor

father, former University professor and medical

pioneer Kurt Amplatz, M.D. In recognition of

gift, the new children’s hospital facility is to be

University of Minnesota Amplatz Children’s

Hospital when it opens in 2011.